Sunday, 28 June 2015

DIY MIXTAPE


Hello! Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. On Friday I woke up to a lovely letter from my friend Daisy (visit her website here - shes a brilliant photographer), we're flatmates at uni and we're missing each other over the summer break, so I thought, what better way to show someone you're thinking about them than a mix of music? So I made her a mix of some awesome music to listen to. Mixtapes have been used in the past in the form of cassette tapes (who remembers those?!) where a compilation of songs were put together by the maker to portray a theme or feeling; the handmade artworks were pretty cool too. Anyway, I thought I'd show you how I made one...

You will need:
A laptop (with a CD drive)
Some blank audio CDs
Two pieces of card
Glue stick
Pencil
Sharpie
Scissors
Ruler
Collage material (anything you want to decorate the case with)

Right, first you will need to actually make the mixtape. I made a playlist on my iTunes, then selected 'Burn Playlist to Disk' to get the music on there.
To make a case, cut out the shapes as shown above. The right-hand shape is 26cm x 13cm and the one on the left is 13cm x 13cm, the flaps on the outside are 1.5cm thick.
Then I folded the card where I had drawn the lines, I recommend using a ruler and scissors to score along the lines, it'll help get a neater fold.
Then I glued along the flaps to stick the case together. This is the case finished, now to decorate! I used collage to decorate Daisy's case with magazines and coloured paper. I also drew on some patterns, and wrote down the track listing on the case. Using a sharpie, I coloured in a pattern on the disk to fit in with the case, and here's the finished result:

It was fun to choose the tracks and to make an original album artwork, music is so important to spread messages and connect with people. Why not have a go at making your own for someone you love? What tracks would you put on it?

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment