Friday, 7 November 2014

LONDON GALLERY VISIT

I had such an awesome day in London yesterday! So I'm going to tell you all about it.
The purpose of the visit was because next week in my drawing skills class we're going to be doing some life drawing, so looking at some other artists' work was supposed to inspire us and help us with our drawing next week.

The Nakeds exhibition at The Drawing Room in London was really interesting, it was really cool seeing Tracey Emin's work up close, she's one of my favourite artists because she's just so different and radical and she basically doesn't give a shit about anything. If you want to check out The Drawing Room's website just click here. The Nakeds was an exploration of different methods of drawing the human body, it had a variety of different artists' work including Tracey Emin and Egon Schiele who's drawing methods showed the naked form in such different ways, I loved that they were all in the same room together, contrasting but still complimenting each other.
The next exhibition was Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude at the Courtauld Gallery. I was fan-girling so hard in this gallery, Egon Schiele was an Austrian Figurative artist and such a cool guy! I studied him in A Level and seeing his work up-close was amazing for me. We weren't allowed to take photographs unfortunately, but all I can say is check this one out if you're in London any time until January, their website is here. Egon Schiele's way of drawing the nude is amazing, they're not realistic but I felt like he was trying to describe what the world and the human figure look like through his eyes. Schiele mainly used watercolour and gouache in a way that made his subjects look somewhat pale and sickly, they were also skinny to the extreme, many say that his work portrays themes of death in the human body because of it. He is amazing and I could go on about it all day, so go and check him out.

To end the day we visited the Grant Museum of Zoology which is basically a room full of animal specimens either skeletons or preserved in jars. I've got to say, it was a very creepy place, but amazing to make some drawings from, I couldn't decide if I was repulsed or amazed but I did get some nice drawings.
I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity to visit these places and to see some of my favourite artists' work up-close, I really loved my time in London yesterday and I hope I get the chance to visit soon. Thanks for reading.

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment