Saturday, 6 September 2014

SIXTH FORM TIPS AND TRICKS

So the schools, sixth forms and colleges all started back this week in my area (it feels so weird not going with them!) and it's making me think of my time at sixth form. I thought I'd share with you some tips and tricks that I learned along the way, and I hope they help you as much as they helped me. I don't pretend to be an expert though, everyone's different and has a different experience but hopefully these tips will be useful.
 
1. Buy a diary and make good use of it. My diary was my lifeline at sixth form. Every day I completed a study plan which planned out what lessons I had that day, what I was going to do in my study periods and what homework I was set that day. A diary is an easy way to stay organised.

2. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Most sixth forms expect you to start with four subjects, allow yourself at least a month to get a taste of the course. If you find you aren't enjoying one of them, don't be afraid to drop it, this will not make you a failure don't worry! It will also give you more chance to concentrate on your other subjects.

3. Choose subjects you enjoy. Seriously, I can't stress this enough, you will do much better in subjects you enjoy than those you won't. If you choose a subject you don't enjoy it will make life hard for you at sixth form.

4. Don't be disheartened if you aren't achieving the top grades straight away. The jump from GCSE to A Level is huge! Going from achieving A's and B's in GCSE to barely scraping a D when you start sixth form can be difficult to understand at first. You have to remember that A Level is a higher level than GCSE, and an A means something completely different now. Don't worry, if you work hard enough you will achieve the top grades soon enough.

5. Don't be tempted to have a 'working lunch'. Working through your break and lunch might seem like a good idea at the time, but you're not giving your brain a rest. Breaks and study periods can seem like the same thing, they're both times when you're free to do what you choose, but you need to distinguish between the two.

There are my top tips. I hope I didn't seem like I'm preaching at you guys, I'm only trying to help. Good luck if you're starting sixth from this year, and enjoy it - it'll fly in!

Emily x


No comments:

Post a Comment