Friday, 26 September 2014

LONDON | CULTURAL VISIT

Hi everyone, I hope you've had a good week, and I'm sorry for not posting often but the weekend is here finally after what seems like an incredibly long week. I thought I'd share with you what I've been up to.

Yesterday as part of my illustration course we had a trip to London, which gave us the chance to visit the V&A museum and have a look around London. Having had about three hours sleep the night before (I know, I know, I'm burning the candle at both ends and all that, but it's Freshers' week!) I got off to a sleepy start, but after we visited the exhibition I was more than awake.
The exhibition was called 'Disobedient Objects', it was loud, interactive and very raw; I loved the fact that everything from the floors to the signs was made from plywood and that everything in the exhibition was made by people like you and me. I felt like the exhibition was giving these people a voice as artists, just as the protests they participated in gave them a voice as activists. The exhibition focuses around protests and activists all over the world and the tools or objects they used to get across their points and opinions. These tools were anything from badges, signs and T shirts to banners, blockades and even vehicles.
One thing that stood out to me the most was the piece about the BLO or the 'Barbie Liberation Organisation'. The BLO are basically a group of artists and activists that protest gender stereotyping. The film I watched showed the protest that gained them the most recognition over the years, this was when they swapped or performed 'surgery' on talking Barbie and G.I. Jones dolls to switch their voices around. This meant that kids were buying Barbie dolls that made gunshot noises and G.I. Jones dolls that talked about going shopping. This made me laugh and I really love this concept, I think they dealt with this issue in a very widespread but humerus way which is what I enjoyed about it. I believe that is what illustration is about for me, it's getting a point across to people in a way that everyone understands. I'm a very visual learner and images are how I communicate, so I left this exhibition feeling very inspired, and excited to start the course on Monday!

If you want to check out the video I watched about the BLO check it out here. The V&A museum website is here too if you want to check out the Disobedient Objects exhibition or any of the other exhibitions at the V&A. Thanks for reading.

Emily x

2 comments:

  1. Oh I loved the victoria and albert museum. When I was there they had all the fashion over time and it was so fun to see Dior and other designers change over the years.
    xx, Jodi
    http://highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so huge! There's all sorts in there, it would take you longer than a day to see it all! Thanks for reading xx

      Delete