Tuesday, 16 September 2014

DRAWING PROJECT 2 - GETTING IN TOUCH

I'm back with another drawing project! This time I made a series of drawings where my sense of touch and hand-eye coordination where put to the test. As you already know, this week I've been working my way through a book from my reading list for uni, it's called Drawing Projects: an exploration of the language of drawing, and you can read about my first drawing project post here.

Anyway, the first activity had me drawing with a blindfold on where I had to use my hands to feel the object instead of looking, and transfer these feelings into marks on the paper. Firstly, I'm very glad I actually wore a blindfold on this one because otherwise I think I would have cheated. But I liked the drawings that came out of it, I used shoes as my subjects and I like that all the lines don't join up, I think this creates an interesting effect.
The next task was self portraits, I had to close my eyes and use my hand to explore my face and make marks on the paper accordingly. I found it very hard not to look at the paper and keep my eves closed, but I eventually got used to it. I liked using the variety of materials in this task, I used pencil, Sharpie marker, fine liner and pastels. The drawings I created have many layers to them as I kept going over each drawing with different materials, I like this effect.

I really enjoyed this project, I feel like the past two projects have definitely taken me out of my comfort zone, and I've surprised myself with the range of marks I've started to use which I'm usually too 'precious' to use. I'm finding this book really interesting and I can't wait for the next projects.

Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment