Sunday, 31 August 2014

I LOVE CHARITY SHOPS!


This is a Charity Shop appreciation post, because I love them! Yes sometimes they're full of useless crap, yes sometimes they smell, and yes there is the possibility that the previous owner died in it (the clothes not the shop), but who can resist cheap clothes? Not me. Loads of stuff in my wardrobe is second hand, I love the fact that you can add some uniqueness to an outfit with labels you would never usually go for.

Yesterday I had the time to have a good ratch round (is 'ratch' just a northern word for 'rummage' or does everyone know what I mean by that) and found a few lovely items that I'd like to shere with you today.


The first was a lovely dark floral patterned dress which buttons up the front. It's really comfortable to wear because it's over sized and made from a light and airy cotton fabric. I know summer is over but I love this, and I feel like it would really work as a layer with a jumper or cardigan over the top, especially as the collar would peep out of the top.


The next item is also over sized, except it's made of red velvet *swoons*. It is my ultimate weakness, I have to buy anything made of velvet, I'm obsessed! I feel like this would work really well over some black skinny jeans or tucked into something high waisted.

If you ever want to have a 'ratch' in a charity shop yourself, here are my top tips:
1. Don't get obsessed with labels - buy an item if you like it and don't be put off by a label you've never heard of before.

2. Don't go looking for something specific, e.g. red tartan skater skirt - you are not likely to find it.

3. Look out for stains (ones that won't come out in the wash), holes and tears in the item.

4. Remember that you don't actually have to wear the item - you could use the fabric to make something completely different instead. This is much cheaper than buying actual fabric.

5. Don't be scared to stray from the women's section, go to the men's section once in a while - think over sized t shirts and jackets. Also, the children's section (something might fit you!).

6. When you get your finds home make sure you wash them before you wear them - this goes without saying really, unless you want to smell like an old woman, if so go ahead.

7. Share your finds with me! I'd love to see what you pick up, link in the comments please!

Thanks for reading.

Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment